South Tyrol Loves Apples!
The apple production in South Tyrol dates back to the period after the Second World War. Over decades, and fuelled by a variety of historical, cultural, social, political, geographical and economical factors, it has become the main agricultural activity in the province.
The data on South Tyrolean apple production are surprising:
- 19,000 ha of apple orchards
- 1 million tons of apples produced every year, which sums up to:
- 50% of the Italian apple harvest
- 15% of the European apple harvest
- 2% of the global apple harvest
This focus on the fruit of Adam and Eve and the consequential know-how in the sector has lead to the birth of Interpoma 20 years ago, and has also been the main driving force behind the idea to bring Interpoma all the way to Shandong, China.